I am by no means a gourmet cook. In fact I learned my culinary skills by feeding my two brothers, Dad, and whatever "ranch hands" (generally people my Dad somehow suckered into doing work on the ranch) were around. As you can imagine these guys weren't too picky, as long as it was hearty, flavorful, and there were good portions they were happy. So my cooking is very "country", meat & potatoes kind of style. It's kind of ironic because my Mom is a wonderful gourmet cook, somehow I didn't glean enough from her in that arena.
The other night I pulled out a can of corn as the veggie for our dinner. I was tired of just plain old corn that particular evening. I wanted something a little different. Plus I'm a fairly creative person and when I don't get to express that through artwork or home decor I'm afraid my poor family has to suffer with my creativity being poured out through my cooking. Most of my cooking "creations" have something to do with butter and cheese. This one is no different. This really is a great way, all be it not the healthiest way, to eat canned corn. You could do it with fresh corn, but who has the money for that. Unless you grow your own corn, and as long as that corn crop isn't fed to the horses by your dear old dad (hmmm... who did that happen to). So mix it up tonight. Do yourself a favor and make this dish. It's hearty, incorporates vegetables so I'm going to say semi-healthy, and it will make you say "mmmmmmm".
P.S. The picture does not do it justice. I am definitely not a food photographer- I'll stick with weddings. But I threw a picture up because blogs are always more fun with pixs :)
Jess' Cream Corn
1 can of corn drained
2 Tbls butter
3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
1/2 tsp parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In medium saucepan melt the butter then add the corn & stir to coat. Add cream cheese. Stirring occasionally heat until cream cheese is melted and incorporated throughout. Cook for another two minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour into 8x8 baking dish & sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese & parsley. Bake for 15 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you have a great corn recipe enter it into the "comments" section below. This will be a fun way for all of us to expand our corn recipe box (I'm sure your's isn't overflowing). Happy cooking!

No comments:
Post a Comment