Friday, August 12, 2011

Fishing Day

House renovations, living in two places, & trying to wrangle four children has pretty much consumed my Summer.  Team that with not having computer access at our new place (yes, I still have an immobile PC... I'll get a laptop, someday...someday) & you get very few blog updates.  I've been at the ranch since yesterday afternoon & am trying to catch up on some blogging.
A few weeks ago my Dad took the twins fishing via horseback up behind our ranch.  Joshie really wanted to go, but since his horseman skills are a little immature he had to stay home with Mom.  I told him I would take him on our own fishing trip.  So I outfitted him with a creel, an ice fishing pole (because it's short), & a bobber.  That's right, no hooks involved.  Which didn't matter much because I took him to a pond about 75 yards from the house that has absolutely no fish in it.
Danica joined us & we spent most of the time changing the bobber on JoJo's pole from a little red & white bobber to a much larger orange & white bobber.  Then he would cast into the water, wait a few seconds, reel it in & I'd say "Darn it, that fish got away!"  To which he would reply "Darn it!"
That lasted for about 20 minutes & then we ate the lunch that JoJo had prepared.  A banana & peanut butter sandwich, most of which ended up in the pond to feed the "fish".  We didn't catch any fish (shocking, I know) but the two little ones had a blast anyway.
Later that afternoon the twins came back with their bounty.   A bunch of very, very small fish.  They were so proud & even though I'm not overly fond of fish I said I would fry them up for everyone to feast on.
So they cleaned all the fish up with Grandpa & I fried a bunch of them up with butter & garlic & good seasonings.  I de-boned them all so no little bones would choke one of my kiddos & then I set the feast before them.  And, the twins decided they didn't like fish... awesome.  Lesson learned, for me that is.
Actually, Danica ate the most fish.  Of course that girl will eat anything.  She finished off her day by "playing" in the sprinkler.  At least we know she's hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment