Friday, August 26, 2011

Broken Bones

We officially have the first broken bone of the Yakos kids.  And wouldn't you know it, it was the one year old that did it.  Our very adventurous & strong Danica decided to climb out of her crib on Monday.  Two days before she had climb out of her play pin.  But the sides on that were much lower on the play pen & she had since slept in the crib & not attempted the climb.
Well, eventually she decided to take on the taller walls of the crib & went for it.  I heard a big thud during her nap & went up to see what had happened.  And there she was on the floor crying.  I checked all her limbs & nothing seemed to be bothering her.  So we went on  with life.  Later that night I noticed she was favoring her wrist.  I checked her arm, wrist & fingers again & nothing seemed to be killing her.  So I wrapped her wrist thinking it was just a sprain.  Well after two days the sprain was not getting better... at all.  So I took her into the doctor.  You guessed it, broken bone.
Actually it's fractured, & it's the middle of the small bone in her forearm (not her wrist at all... & that's why I'm not a doctor).  She has to wear this huge cast for a month.  So far she's doing fine with it.  She still is trying to climb on things & run.  She hasn't gotten overly frustrated with her cast, but has a tough time getting comfortable to go to sleep.  At the end of it all she will have a funny tan & I think an amazing right shoulder muscle.  But I don't think this will slow her down one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment