"When Joshie goes out in the woods today he's in for a big surprise.
When Joshie goes out in the woods today he better go in disguise.
'Cause every bea-"
"Mom, how do I get in disguise? And how do I get out of disguise?"
"You just put it on & take it off like regular clothes. It's just like a costume." My comment was followed by a confused look from my sweet son. I began singing again:
"When Joshie goes out in the woods today he's in for a big surprise.
When Joshie goes out in the woods today he better go in disguise.
'Cause every bear that ever there was wi-"
"Mama, how do I get up into disguise & how do I get back down? How do I get up there?"
"Up where?"
"Up in disguise!"
Then I realized what was going on. I was saying "disguise", he was hearing "the skies". Actually he was hearing "da skies". No wonder he was confused! That would be one weird song if you heard it like he was. And then I though, do I unknowing have a Jamaican accent where when I say "da skies" my son doesn't even question it, he doesn't think it's a new word? Do I walk around the house speaking Jive & now it's my kids first language? Now we both were confused. I quickly explained to him that I wasn't saying "the skies" but "disguise", or a costume. He nodded & I began the song again:
"When Joshie goes out in the woods today he's in for a big surprise.
When Joshie goes out in the woods today he better go in disguise."
"But Mama, how do I get into da skies?!"
I just answered (in a Jamaican accent) "You take da plane, man." Ahhhh... parenthood.
Ha!!! I love it!
ReplyDelete